World Elder Abuse Awareness Day (WEAAD) is on June 15th and we’re hoping all CRNs will join the BC CRN in planning events to promote community awareness.
It’s painful to think about, but elder abuse is a widespread problem. Financial abuse, fraud, withholding medication, food or personal care are all forms of abuse that many community members are unaware of.
WEAAD was launched on June 15, 2006 by the International Network for the Prevention of Elder Abuse and the World Health Organization. The United Nations General Assembly designated that date as World Elder Abuse Awareness Day, a day in which the entire world voices its opposition to all forms of abuse of the older persons.
Some events that our members held last year included:
- Meal deliveries to isolated seniors
- Purple light displays (Canada Place, community halls, etc.) and the flying of purple flags
- Car parades, drive up events, and mini outdoor concerts
- Safety checks on mobility equipment
- Mass distribution of education and awareness resource items
- Online contests, games, and entertainment
- Photo contests
- Bench and plaque installations
- Virtual lunch & learns, wellness sessions, and information webinars
- Program presentations (including See Something, Say Something! Reducing Risk for Older Adults and It’s Not Right! Neighbours, Friends & Families for Older Adults presentations)
Send us an email with your planned event for WEAAD 2023 and we’ll post it here to inspire other communities!
Image source: https://www.weaad.ca