- This event has passed.
Webinar – Elder Abuse Awareness: First Nations Communities (Hosted by E Division Community Policing Services)
February 22, 2022 @ 9:00 am - 11:45 am
Renata, Rhonda and Marilyn from Haisla Nation will talk about the struggles, the stigma, the fear and the factors unique to elders in our First Nation Communities.
Presenter: Renata Moore, Marilyn Furlan and Rhonda Shulmeister
Vancouver Coastal Health and Northern Health
Vancouver Coastal Health and Northern Health have programs that describe elder abuse, neglect and self neglect. We will discuss:
– Recognizing abuse, neglect and self neglect of Elders
– Knowing how to report cases to Designated Agencies
– Investigating and responding to reported cases
Presenter: Amanda Brown and Melinda Allison
April’s presentation is based on the report that she had coauthored: “Promising Approaches for Addressing / Preventing Abuse of Older Adults in First Nations Communities.” She will discuss:
– The historical context of abuse in First Nation’s communities
– How to minimize risk, use protective factors and to think about cultural safety
– Effective ways of co-creating work across boundaries, that is trauma informed, culturally informed, and honours the principle of most effective and least intrusive work.
Presenter: April Struthers