Information & Resources for CRN’s
World Elder Abuse Awareness Day (WEAAD) on June 15th is BC CRN’s hallmark event! WEAAD was first established in June 2006 and is officially recognized by the United Nations General Assembly.
The BC Association of Community Response Networks’ 80+ CRNs are spreading awareness around the province in anticipation of World Elder Abuse Awareness Day! Some of the planned activities for 2021 include:
- Meal deliveries to isolated seniors
- Purple light displays (Canada Place, community halls)
- The flying of purple flags
- Car parades and drive up events
- Safety checks on mobility equipment
- 100,000 education & awareness resource items are being distributed throughout 150 communities
- Online contests, games, and entertainment
- Connection card kits
- Photo contests
- Bench and plaque installations
- Mini outdoor concerts
- Wellness sessions and information webinars
- Virtual lunch and learns
- It’s Not Right! Neighbours, Friends & Families for Older Adults presentations
Join us in shining a light on adult and elder abuse, getting involved in prevention activities, and celebrating older adults as active, vibrant members of the community.
Below you find a variety of suggestions and resources for helping CRN’s promote WEAAD in their communities. Please select the hyperlinks to download the materials of your choosing (and feel free to edit any documents to best suit your needs).
If you would like to learn more about World Elder Abuse Awareness Day, and how you can make a difference in the lives of vulnerable adults in your community, please contact your local CRN
Purple is the colour BC CRN has adopted as WEAAD’s hallmark colour. Wear purple on June 15th to show your support!
The Purple Iris Flower
The purple iris flower is BC CRN’s official symbol for WEAAD and represents the promise for communities to shine a light on the issues of abuse and neglect of older adults and help our populations most vulnerable live with dignity. The iris also represents hope, wisdom, courage, faith and admiration.
How to Get Involved
- Download any of our #BCCRNWEAAD2021 images and post them to your social media to show your support.
- Volunteer with your local Community Response Network (CRN) in a pandemic safe WEAAD activity.
- Download the press release template, and work with your organization to finalize and send it to local news agencies and media outlets.
- Post pictures of your community’s “purple power” to social media with the hashtag #BCCRNWEAAD2021 on June 15, or email them to us to include in an upcoming E-Connector edition. Don’t forget to tag BC CRN in your photos! (Handle: @BCCRNS for Facebook and Twitter.)
- Encourage your local community to fly the purple WEAAD flag and either turn on or shine purple lights on public buildings.
Provincial pandemic safety protocols are in effect. Please stay updated on the safety measures for your area. Be sure to wear a mask, physically distance, and avoid meetings in large groups.
Social Media Images
Regularly post WEAAD information to your social media accounts during the month of June to promote awareness – be sure to use hashtag #BCCRNWEAAD2021
- Facebook post – template 1
- Facebook post – template 2
- Facebook post – template 3
- Facebook post – template 4
- Facebook post – template 5
- Social media banner – template 1
- Social media banner – template 2
- Twitter post – template 1
- Twitter post – template 2
- Twitter post – template 3
- Twitter post – template 4
WEAAD Posters (Templates)
Additional Resources for Community Response Networks (CRNs)
- Order Form for WEAAD materials and items, including WEAAD flags. (Deadline: May 15, 2021)
- Press release templates (Word document)
- Consent form (Word document) for any photos and stories you gather from your event for future publication in BC CRN’s E-Connector newsletter or local news sources.
- Proclamation letter samples and submission process (Word document). (Give yourself a month to work through the process!)
- WEAAD Teen Kit produced by our friends at i2i Intergenerational Society for intergenerational activity ideas.
- Your CRN has a dedicated online real estate on the BC CRN website you may use to promote your event.
- Be sure to live post your photos to your social media accounts and tag @BCCRNS with the hashtag #BCCRNWEAAD2021 so we can find your images for the June edition of E-Connector.
- Submit any stories you hear at your event for consideration in the June E-Connector as soon as possible through your Regional Mentor or through DM on BC CRN’s Facebook or Twitter. Deadline for your content: June 22, 2021
Please contact us at any time if you have any questions or require any additional support.